Monday, 23 May 2016

Level 3 Folio Critiquing

Critiquing of a level 3 folio


I have had a look at the assessment report for Excellence folios and this candidate does seem to tick some boxes:

"fluently demonstrated intelligent decision making and editorial skills to identify ideas that added to the investigation in order to purposefully focus on synthesis and regeneration"
"refined works within a clear pictorial vocabulary, where each work contributed to the whole body of work"

It is clear the candidate has a strong and well-conceived proposition....
I think especially if you have been teaching for a while the "flavour" of the photography folios has distinctly changed in response to contemporary practices that show little attention to camera functions (apart from exposure) and work mostly with found/documentary style subjects....

I think the key is in the decision-making around colour, value and compositional shifts...a bit brave not to go for more lurid options...

Do I personally like post-modern approaches like this? Not sure - as I still look at old studio portraits and the finesses of the lighting and sensitivity to subject and find some contemporary work leaves me cold....
However, I love some of Marie Shannon's works and apart from being black and white there is little 'photographic finesse" technically that separates them from the images seen here....

Displaying image001.png

No comments:

Post a Comment